15 small things that will make a game-changing difference when building your future
Building your future is like building a house; it doesn’t happen all at once. You don’t decide to build a house one day and the next it’s beautifully finished and all you need to do is put the key in the lock.
You do your research, gather all the materials you need and then set about putting them in the right order, gradually working your way up until you’re putting the tiles on the roof.
So what are the materials you need to build your future? This list is by no means complete, but it does offer you 15 small things that will make a game-changing difference:
- Build your network. Want to work for Coca Cola? Connect with people who already do on LinkedIn – drop them a message, find out more about what they do and how they got there.
- Choose the thoughts you hang out with – instead of saying ‘I don’t anything about this’ try ‘I don’t know anything about this YET.’
- Trick your social media algorithms and change the content you consume. Follow hashtags that will mean you engage with posts and articles related to your passions.
- Swap 30 minutes of Netflix or YouTube for 30 minutes of reading. That book you’ve meaning to read might just change your life.
- Don’t assume that person won’t read your email. Send it. What’s the worst that could happen?
- Become a super-thanker. Thank everyone for their help, no matter how much or little they’ve supported you.
- Do not stop asking just because you get a no. Build your resilience. Sometimes people will say no. That just means you are a step closer to someone saying yes!
- Increase your awareness of the language you use. “I can’t, it won’t, yeah but, I’ll never, I always, it just is, I don’t know, I’m rubbish at…” challenge yourself… are any of those things true or helpful?
- Break it down – small changes make a big difference!
- Do the things that make you feel good.
- Just do you! The people who are meant to be in your life will find you
- Don’t be afraid of making mistakes. They are always an opportunity to learn.
- Feel the fear and do it anyway – often our own limiting beliefs can hold us back. Try things, say yes to opportunities that might scare you and don’t believe that inner voice that tells you can’t do something.
- Discover what makes your heart sing and do more of it – What’s the thing that makes you truly happy? That feeds your soul, makes time fly and allows you to be truly in your element. Find those things and do more of them – they will take you closer to creating the career and life that’s perfect for you.
- You don’t always have to be right, often you learn more from getting it wrong so don’t beat yourself up when that happens, see it as an opportunity to learn and do it better next time.
This is a great foundation for building your own future. We recommend taking a look at the two videos ‘How to get your head around your future’ and ‘Creating a vision for your life’ within the Teach section, and then head over to the Self-Leadership Resources for an activity on how to find your element.
This article is part of The Future Leaders Project, supporting 15-18 year olds to understand their options for the future (although the advice here is useful to adults, too!) Register for access to a whole resource portal packed with inspiring lesson plans, expert talks, activities, interviews and advice from leaders from a whole range of fields.
Sign up for more insights into the skills and mindset of the most successful people, and be the first to hear the latest news from Ivy House including new developments, research and events.